UPGRADE = OPTIMISE AND TRAIN YOUR VOICE TO SING VOCAL EFFECTS
Before continuing with the exercises, first consider what your objective is for your vocal workout of today!
- Do you need to restore your voice? Do you have a cold? Is your voice tired or hoarse? = PRERESET!
- Do you want to activate your voice for intensive use? (For ex: speaking in front of a group, acting, singing?) = RESET!
- Do you want to upgrade your voice to use vocal effects as a singer or an actor? = UPGRADE!
If you feel it’s time to upgrade your voice, #omg, then you’ve already did a good job! Congratulations! 🙂
Now. A little reminder, if you do a lot of upgrade exercises, always keep in mind that you keep on doing prereset and reset exercises as well.
Always start with a prereset workout before continuing with upgrade exercises
It’s so necessary for you to have a complete vocal workout.
In this vocal workout I will give you THE exercises to master your twang with the Mind The Voice SOVT-Trainer. The result of a better twang is that you will have a better belting voice, better head voice and also have a better vocal cords closure. But I can’t repeat it enough: it remains important to give your vocal folds enough relaxing exercises as well. (Be sure to check out our Singing Gym episodes about vocal stretching, vocal massage and first aid vocal rescue!)
Now, let’s UPGRADE! I made you wonderful #DIY UPGRADE vocal workout program with the SOVT-Trainer.
1. Upgrade means also to upper your voice box.
- So activate your neck, so that you reduce any possible tension around the throat.
- Train upgrade exercises with activated cheeks. This helps you to upper your voice box. (Learn EVERYTHING about good twangs in our Ultimate Mind The Voice Singing Program, release fall 2021)
2. Train at the highest possible level for the twang setting.
If you notice that you can’t yet close 3 holes (from level 12), then first train the RESET level sufficiently, before continuing with this workout!
When you start to get sound from level 12, try to raise the level. Be sure to:
- Keep the “breath rate” low. I want more sound, less air. The air NEEDS to be converted into sound to make it healthy.
- Hey, it may sound like a duck. Or maybe like a cowboy. It’s a vocal exercise, you won’t sing that way on stage 😉 It’s just a setting that you need to master to master the nice sounding sounds! So now, don’t give too much chest resonance. I want twaaaaang. (Check out the Singing Gym episode about the twang gang workout)
If you only succeed at level 12 and you feel you are not getting any further, that’s all right! Good job! Always listen to your body, and mind your voice…
3. Project your sound in the BELTING zone.
- Activate your feet, back and neck.
- Gently tilt your neck, but keep your neck activated.
- Activate your cheeks while singing through the trainer.
Okay, these are just a few tips about belting, I know. I will make a full BELTING workout with amazing new techniques for pop belting and musical belting in our Ultimate Mind The Voice Singing Program, release fall 2021!
Meanwhile, check out the Singing Gym episode about belting! 😉
4. Choose an audio exercise. (on www.sovttrainer.com)
Like I’ve already told before, the glissando exercises are the most important exercises to check whether you are not creating any forward or downward pressure on your voice box. If you are unable to sing them smoothly, you sing with too much throat tension, too little breath support and stability, or an incorrect sound projection. So project it baaaaaackwards!
- Audio 5: Make a downward glissando (fifths).
- Audio 6: Make an upward and downward glissando (fifths).
- Audio 7: Make a downward glissando (octaves) .
- Audio 8: Make an upward and downward glissando (octaves).
Convert the SOVT-exercise to a SOUND of your choice:
Convert to shouts (WOW, YAY)
Convert to twang (NGE, NEY, YAY)
Convert to belting (YAY)
Convert to distortion (see the Ultimate Mind The Voice Singing Program, because this is really hardcore! 😉 )
5. Train at the highest possible level and then go back to level 1
If you manage to get to the highest level completely, go back from level 15 to level 1 while maintaining the correct voice box setting (twang).
This last tip is REALLY important, because you need to be able to convert your learned techniques with the SOVT-Trainer to “normal” singing.
Good luck my vocal freaks!